Would you look at that, it’s been three years since I’ve written a post. How totally uncool of me!
To be completely honest, I didn’t read much in 2022. I went through some personal things that took an emotional toll, and I lost the desire to do a lot of the things that bring me joy. Depression can be a tough nut to crack. Lately, I’ve found excitement in reading, and I am so happy to dive back into all sorts of books.
I just finish reading ‘Home Before Dark’ by Riley Sager. I’ve never read anything by Riley Sager, and this book appealed to me right off the bat. I love books that incorporate stories within stories (hello, ‘Frankenstein’ is my favorite book, after all). This book was a quick and intriguing read. There will be plenty more Riley Sager books in my future!
Currently, I am readying ‘Reasons to Stay Alive’ by Matt Haig and ‘Excavation’ by Wendy C. Ortiz, both memoirs. Nonfiction is a wide genre, and I am particular about what nonfiction I read. I love biographies, autobiographies, and memoirs.
I recently relocated to Ireland to be closer to my parents. Soon after my mother retired, they headed to Ireland and made that their permanent residence. YAY for having multiple citizenships! I am looking forward to a different pace and immersing myself in the strong storytelling culture. This means that I might actually have more time and emotional bandwidth to read!
This new year will be filled with books and I hope to read at least two per month. This will be a fairly malleable list, and any additions will be noted as additions!
Ellie’s 2023 To Be Read Pile (ongoing and updated frequently; italicized: read)
- ‘Home Before Dark’ by Riley Sager
- ‘Excavation’ by Wendy C. Ortiz
- ‘all about love’ by bell hooks
- ‘The Other Black Girl’ by Zakiya Dalila Harris
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ by Margaret Atwood (reread)
- ‘The Testaments’ by Margaret Atwood
- ‘Token Black Girl’ by Danielle Prescod
- ‘Reasons to Stay Alive’ by Matt Haig
- ‘The Love Songs of W. E. B. Du Bois’ by Honoree Fanonne Jeffers
- ‘Without Merit’ by Colleen Hoover
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ complete series by Sara Shepard
- ‘One Last Stop’ by Casey McQuiston
- ‘Regretting You’ by Colleen Hoover
This is just a basic list to get started, and I will be adding books as I go. I can’t wait to fill my mind with stories and words!